COLUMBUS, Ohio – Today, the Portman for Senate campaign released its latest TV ad, "Teamsters," featuring Sonny Nardi, Secretary-Treasurer of Teamsters Ohio D.R.I.V.E.. Earlier this year, the Ohio Conference of Teamsters, representing over 50,000 members from across Ohio, endorsed Rob Portman in his re-election campaign for the U.S. Senate. "Teamsters" will begin running statewide today and is a part of the campaign's $15 million ad reservation. Click here to watch "Teamsters."
Sonny Nardi: For too long, working families have been let down by politicians who break their promises on jobs. That's why the Ohio Teamsters are endorsing Rob Portman. Senator Portman's word is his bond, and there's no stronger champion for American workers and American manufacturers. Rob is standing up to China to protect Ohio jobs. Take it from this Democrat and proud union guy: Rob Portman fights hard for working families.
The Ohio Conference of Teamsters, representing 50,000 members in Ohio, endorsed Rob earlier this year.
- "On behalf of our 50,000 members in Ohio, we are proud to endorse Rob Portman,"said Pat Darrow, President of the Ohio Conference of Teamsters. "When it comes to hardworking Ohio families, Rob Portman has our back. Rob is fighting for middle-class jobs and higher wages for the people of Ohio, and he has fought with us to protect our pensions. We look forward to supporting Rob and continuing to work with him in the U.S. Senate.”
- "I’m honored to have the support of the Ohio Conference of Teamsters and I will continue to fight for Ohio workers in the U.S. Senate," added Rob Portman. "I’m proud to have these hard-working Ohioans on our team. We’ve worked to protect Ohio jobs and stop retirees from facing pension cuts as large as 70 percent due to no fault of their own.”
In 2006 and 2010, the Teamsters endorsed Ted Strickland.
- In 2006, the Teamsters endorsed Ted Strickland for Governor and Sherrod Brown for U.S. Senate
- In 2010, the Teamsters endorsed Ted Strickland for Governor, Lee Fisher for U.S. Senate, Richard Cordray for Attorney General, David Pepper for Auditor, Maryellen O’Shaughnessy for Secretary of State, and Kevin Boyce for Treasurer
- In 2012, the Teamsters endorsed Sherrod Brown for U.S. Senate and Barack Obama for President.
- In 2014, the Teamsters endorsed Ed FitzGerald for Governor, John Patrick Carney for Auditor, Nina Turner for Secretary of State, Connie Pillich for Treasurer, and David Pepper for Attorney General.
Rob is the author of the Pension Accountability Act, which protects Teamsters in Ohio and around the country from unfairly having their pensions cut without any say in the process. Rob's bill would give the Teamster retirees a seat at the table and ensure their voices are heard.
Rob introduced and passed the Leveling the Playing Field Act, which gives U.S. manufacturers tools to fight against unfair trade practices in order to protect hard-working Ohioans. This legislation is already helping American companies fight back against China’s unfair trade practices by helping win recent trade cases that have imposed tariffs of over 250 percent on steel coming in from China.
Rob has long expressed concerns about -- and in February announced his opposition to -- the Trans-Pacific Trade Partnership (TPP). The Teamsters oppose TPP. In addition, Rob supported and voted for the 2015 Highway Bill. The Highway Bill included Rob's Federal Permitting Improvement Act to help speed up infrastructure projects in Ohio and across the country to put people back to work.
In addition to the Ohio Teamsters, Rob also recently received the endorsement from unions representing over 100,000 Ohio families, including Ohio FOP, the IUOE Local 18, and the United Mine Workers of America, who all previously supported Strickland.